[Sca-cooks] When cheese is not cheese

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 13 05:38:16 PDT 2004

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I wonder if this file is now not so true:
> Mousse-art (13K) 10/19/00 "13 good reasons why chocolate mousse isn't
> medieval." by Lady Jehanne de Huguenin.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Mousse-art.html
>
> Or is a "mousse" totally different than something produced by this
> curd by acid technique?
>
> Stefan

No, this and mousse aren't even close. A mousse is more like a dessert
that's made mostly with eggs, butter and sugar that has the "bejesus"
whipped out of it to make it light and fluffy...it's frequently similar
in texture to whipped cream, only a little heavier. If you haven't tried
Selene's Dreaded Chocolate Mousse, you're missing one of the great joys
of life. By the way, Selene, I made it for our 4th of July party,
completely low carb. I used Splenda for the sugar and rasberry extract
(Boyjian...so it was very high quality stuff), and no one could tell
that I hadn't made it the regular way. It wasn't really low fat as I did
use real butter...I was afraid to substitute that. Maybe somewhere down
the line, I'll try using part Smart Balance and part butter. But good stuff!

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.