[Sca-cooks]Was Selene and Kiri's Dreaded Chocolate Mousse [OOP] now Fiori di Sicilia

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jul 14 09:51:07 PDT 2004

Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
>Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>
>>Also sprach ekoogler1 at comcast.net:
>>
>>>You can actually by Splenda by the box, measureable just like
>>>sugar. Of course, it's more expensive, but...no carbs!
>>

>>0.5 grams carbohydrate per teaspoon, which would be what, 24 grams
>>per cup? That, of course, is due to the maltodextrin used to bulk
>>out and stabilize the stuff in a more or less granular form, but if
>>you really want _no_ carbohydrates, you need the liquid, as far as
>>I know.
>>
>>Adamantius
>
>The pure liquid form has not been approved for use in the USA.  Is
>it available in Canada?
>A liquid sweetener would really not do much for the texture of this
>particular recipe anyway.
>
>Selene

It used to be available through mail-order from various websites, and
yes, shipped from outside the US. I don't know what the status of
that is now, but I have like a three-year supply.

I agree, the liquid would lack certain stabilizing and tenderizing
effects that the granular form would (presumably) have, but that
wasn't my point. All I meant was that if you're counting your
carbohydrate intake to the point where something like Splenda seems
like a good idea, and then you're going to cook or bake with the
granular form (IOW, use it in a comparatively bulk setting, like by
the 1/2 cup rather than by the teaspoon),  there comes a point where
you have to begin counting those grams because they're no longer
insignificant. Dot's all...

I mostly use the liquid for cheesecake and for steak sauce...

Adamantius