[Sca-cooks] tart crust question

Christina L Biles bilescl at okstate.edu
Wed Jul 14 13:59:23 PDT 2004

><http://worldart.sjsu.edu/VieO42870$10084*778063>

Olwen said:
***Anyone else think the smaller round item is a sandwich?  Nice tart
crust.

Nah.  It's a roll. They show up in tons of these Dutch still life pics.
Whole, cut in half, torn - they are one of the most common elements I have
found.   I have seen a 1680s? pic of a woman eating slices of cheese
betwen slices of roll/bread, which totally cracked me up, that being my
default lunch at events.   If you are interested I can run up into the
stacks tomorrow to grab the book & scan the picture.

-Magdalena