[Sca-cooks] OT- looking for recipe for Bruise Cream

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jul 15 07:42:37 PDT 2004

> I got this request yesterday. I know this is a bit off-topic for this
> list, but I'm not on any of the herbal lists.

Well, whose fault is that? :)

> >Hello I found your e-mails on the web and am hoping you can help me to
> >track down a recipe for bruise cream.? I use to have it but have lost
> >it.? The only ingredients I know for sure to use is comfrey, beeswax
> >and shortening.

Hm.. sounds related to Iasmin's, which I have in my files:

> Bruise Balm
> -----------
> This is the most popular balm I make. Fighters in our martial arts
> program have all commented on how well it works to speed the healing
> of their bruises. Their doctors have commented on how well it work
> also. The first two herbal ingredients are standard ones I always
> have on hand because they strongly encourage healing of bruised
> muscles. The third herbal ingredient varies depending on my mood and
> the availability of the herbs at the time, but is always chosen for
> its helpfulness on bruises and sprains.
>
> 1 cup dried Juniper berries, crushed or roughly ground (Juniperus
communius)
> 1 cup dried Arnica flowers (Arnica montana)
> 1 cup dried Bay Leaves (Anthimus nobilis)
> Oil to cover
> Wax to thicken

Here are some
others from the files of the SCA-Herbalist yahoogroup:

"Herbs for the Mediaeval Household" by Margaret B. Freeman

Bruise Butter
1 1/2 C calendula flowers (pot marigold)
8 oz jar pure lanolin (anhydrous)
6 oz coconut oil
a quarter to a half cup comfrey

Put all ingredients in a covered casserole, bake at 375 for an hour.
Strain through cheesecloth into container, cool and label.
You can add eucalyptus oil or oil of clove for smell.
As with any salve recipe if it sets up too soft remelt and add more
beeswax.
--Myfanwy

------------

Bruise Balm
~By Herbalist on the Bayou Guild
Principality of Gleann Abhann

6 bay leaves
1/2 cup lavender
1/4 cup sage
1/4 cup calendula
1/4 cup wormwood
1/4 cup rosemary
One large bottle of extra virgin olive oil. (I don't remember the exact
ounces, but it was a big one from Wal-Mart. lol)
Beeswax totaling approximately 4-6 ounces, as needed for thickness.
***
All the herbs were combined in a pot and cooked on the stove in the oil on
low (or simmer if your stove is so equipped) for approximately two hours.
Alternatively, you could use an old crock pot or potpourri pot (never use
something for herbal recipes you intend to use for food later) and simmer
it overnight. This would keep the herbs from having a chance to scorch
while cooking. Just remember to stir.
Afterward, cool and strain the oil. Melt the beeswax and add a little at
time until the desired thickness is achieved for your balm. It will need
to be cooled to see the actual consistency.
This recipe makes quite a large batch of bruise balm and could easily be
halved for personal use.

--------------------

> I think that one was mine. If not here is what I use in my bruise cream.
We
> sell this each year at Rowany Festival in Lochac and it sells very well
and
> is very effective.
> Caristiona
>
> Bruise Cream
> 40 ml water
> 20ml of oil (which has had St. Johns Wort, Comfrey and Calendula soaking
in
> it, in the sun for four weeks).
> 25 gm of bees wax.
>
> Combine the wax and oil and heat until the wax is melted. Heat the water
in
> a separate pot until it is ready to boil. Combine the water and wax/ oil
> mixture. Mix the cream until it is cold. You need to do this to make
sure
> that it does not start to separate as it cools. If you use a mixer in
the early stages it can save your arm a bit, but for large amounts the cream

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I mean I'm sittin here on the Group W bench 'cause you want to know if
I'm moral enough join the army, burn women, kids, houses and villages
after bein' a litterbug." -- Arlo Guthrie