[Sca-cooks] Seville orange substitutions

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 10:35:38 PDT 2004

>I don't know if its Canada or just Ottawa, but we have a large melting
>pot of many many ethnic groups here in Ottawa. Makes for interesting
>shopping and even better restaurant choices! lol AAMOF as I understand
>it, Ottawa has the largest middle eastern population than anywhere else
>in North America. This is not a recent influx, but a steadily rising
>population over a time span of maybe 20 years.
>
>In the middle eastern stores saffron is really really cheap. Maybe 5
>bucks a sandwich ziplock size. Spices are found whole and always fresh
>not to mention all the cool non-food things you can usually find in
>these shops (ie: clothes, tea servers, brass doodads, doumbecks
>sp?-maybe thinking in French etc.). You can also find reasonably priced
>goat, rabbit and beef. Is this a normal occurrence in the States?
>
>Micaylah

We have a fair population of a couple different ethnic groups here in
Baltimore Maryland.  Latino, Greek, middle eastern, and Italian.  There also
seems to be a fairly large population of folks from African countries.  I
imagine that Johns Hopkins University is a big draw for lots of folks, but
we have certain sections of town that are "Little Italy", "Greektown", etc
meaning they have come and settled.
Oh, and if your coming to Pennsic, you could just bring along a bag of that
saffron and I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands...
Olwen