[Sca-cooks] Krupnik?

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 3 18:25:16 PDT 2004

Mistress Warjna was Lady Warjna when I met her (and this drink), and THLady
Aethethryth tells me they found this recipe from an old Culinary Institute
of America publication (gasp!  a CIA recipe! Well, I still like it anyhow
;).  The big difference as it was given to me (the fellow's name was
Bamchut, btw), is the boiling time- his version had you boiling the honey
and spices several times (5 comes to mind) and cooling in between each one.
Reduces the honey and really gets the flavors imbued.
Ah, memories.  :)
Christianna

Anyway, recipe follows.  This same recipe appears many times, but this
particular one cited the SCA and names some SCA names, so that's what I
forwarded.

Selene Colfox

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/27/148622.shtml

Title: Krupnik (Polish Fire Vodka)
Yield: 1 Servings
Ingredients

      1    and 1/2 cup honey
      1 ts vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
      3    strips lemon peel (each 2 inches long)
    2/3 c  water
      8    sticks cinnamon
      2    whole cloves
      1    bottle (4/5 quart) unflavored vodka

Instructions
Combine honey and water with spices and lemon peel in a large
saucepan. Bring to a boil and cover, simmer 5 minutes. Add vodka and
remove from heat. Strain spices. Serve hot or cold. This improves
with aging.

recipe by Mistress Warjna Lady Lyscil

I found this recipe for krupnik (in a small SCA (Society for Creative
Anchronism) cookbook, _Oldenfoods_, published by the Shire of
Oldenfeld, Kingdom of Trimaris.
From: Robert Lightfoot