[Sca-cooks] "strick of flax", books and merchants

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 6 00:01:48 PDT 2004

AEllin mentioned:
> Wooden plates and bowls. Wax books. Original artifacts and
> reproductions
> - spindle whorls, aiglets, etc. Bone needles. A strick of flax. (Yes -
> one. Two years ago, I bought the last one in Pennsic... there weren't
> many. Next time, I'll get that first.)
Huh? What is a "strick of flax"? Is this the raw flax ready to be
retted into fibers? Or the fiber already prepared to be spun into linen
thread? or something else?
> Oddly enough, the best catnip toy any cat of mine has ever had... it is
> indestructible, has been loved and attacked by two cats in succession
> already.  I'm going to send a cat-loving friend with money to buy me
> more. (He hadn't found them - this will do his cats a favor, too.) It's
> not what one expects, but...
Okay, which toy was this? We will be picking up new kitten on Monday to
join the two older cats we currently have.
> Of course, her booth is the place to meet
> the cooking and costuming community, even if you are under the illusion
> that you don't need more books.
Ah, yes. There was the Pennsic about two years ago when I decided I had
plenty of cookbooks, so I wouldn't be buying that many books at
Pennsic. I just found myself buying books *about* food. And the one
about pilgrim badges. And the one about funeral brasses. And that
clothing book. And...

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas