[Sca-cooks] edible plants at Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 14 22:45:53 PDT 2004

Sharon commented:
> In thinking over the Pennsic site, it seems to me that there
> are dandelions there.  What about blackberries, raspberries, asparagus,
> roses, violets, angelica, carrots, clover, elderberries, cress, garlic,
> dill, onions, daylilies, honeysuckle, mint, ramps, lettuce, oats,
> mustard,
> turnips, parsnip, dianthus, strawberries, purslane, pokeweed, yarrow,
> sunflowers, sorrel, fruit trees, willows?
You've seen all of these at Pennsic? Or perhaps you see the site other
than in just August?

Still, Wow. Lots of possibilities in that list. I'm not sure where you
would use honeysuckle in cooking though. Or the willow (as a food,
anyway) or the daylilies.

I think I've heard of folks doing "woods walks" at Pennsic before. But
I had a lot of trouble identifying edible plants in the wild in Boy
Scouts and I still have that problem. But perhaps I will keep my open
for such.

Where would you find the blackberries and the raspberries? Down in the
swamp areas?

I did harvest some horsetail reed at Pennsic several years ago for use
as a medieval abrasive. But there's less of a hazard for that if you
pick the wrong stuff since you aren't eating it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com