[Sca-cooks] Full list of Elizabethan cookbooks

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 2 14:08:49 PDT 2004

About the only one I know of that would fit your description is the
Epulario, or The Italian Banquet,1568, an English translation, published
in England in 1568, probably of Bernard Scappi's Epulario, which was
adapted from Martino...both of which happened during the 15th century.
I don't know if this is what you're looking for or not.  The copy I have
was published by Falconwood Press, so I'm not sure if it's still available.

Kiri

> Also sprach Rosalyn MacGregor:
>
>> Tudor/Elizabethan are terms that can be used to delineate a time period.
>

> Ehhhhhhh, in England, yes, and maybe even the chunks of what is now
> France, that were held by English monarchs at the time. But I don't
> think you can call, say, Henri IV's coronation feast an example of
> Elizabethan cookery, contemporary or not. I think in the rest of
> Europe, the period in question is the late Renaissance.
>
>>  I'm
>> looking for a listing of cookbooks written around 1500-1600 that
>> might have
>> been originally published in languages other than English that are now
>> translated and available in English.
>>
>> Does that clarify what I'm hoping to find?
>

> Yes.
>
> Adamantius

Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
					-- C.E. Lawrence