[Sca-cooks] Full list of Elizabethan cookbooks long

Rosalyn MacGregor rosalyn at hotpop.com
Thu Jun 3 09:06:21 PDT 2004

Johnna was kind enough to give a detailed answer.  I will definately check
out the Florigium as Stephen suggested. Thank you Kiri for your offered
title. I really enjoy the Elizabethan translations and have a number of
these books in my library. The Cambridge Society and the Tudor Translations
series are great!

I'm a little puzzled as to the lack of a definate list, because our source
of materials is very much finite. Perhaps I should have phrased my question
a little differently. Is there such a thing as a list of cookbooks that were
published in English in 1500-1600? Is there a list of books that were
published in languages other than English in 1500-1600 that have
subsequently been published in English?

I don't need a facsimile if the original (translated) receipes appear before
a redaction. However, because the original cookbook was printed, a facsimile
should be practicable.

I have all the common Elizabethan English cookbooks, and was hoping to make
sure I'd gotten a copy of everything in print.  Thank you for your kind
assistance.

Gratefully,
Rosalyn MacGregor
(Pattie Rayl)