[Sca-cooks] other things they dont explain about Pennsic

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 11:36:15 PDT 2004

--- Jeff Gedney <gedney1 at iconn.net> wrote:
> >I have never been to Pennsic.  I have always
> >dreamed of going, but now I am beginning to
> >change my dream, after reading your list.
>
> Other things that they don't explain about
> Pennsic.
>
> Magic happens in odd places and at odd times.

It happens all the time at SCA events.

> The lowering sunset and low hanging everpresent
> dust turns the very air golden in the late
> afternoon.

LOL.  One of the "benefits" of living in smoggy
Los Angeles is glorious sunsets which you don't
get in clear air environments.  Believe me.  I
have been to Tahiti, with its beautiful clean
air and was very disappointed that their sunsets.

> The smell of food and wood smoke, and the sound
> of laughter and song floating while a star
> falls in the night sky create a vivid
> impression that will stay with you as long as
> you live.

Very true.  This happens with every war I have
ever been to.

> There will be more merchants than you will ever
> see at any SCA even anywhere selling everything
> from 7000 dollar rapiers to 16 dollar gorgets,
> from 3 dollar twisted brass wire penannulars to
> fossil containing amber pendants going for 12
> thousand, from hand made bows and arrows to
> rubberband marshmallow guns, from books to
> bongos and just about everything in between.

Actually, it is the thought of such merchants
that keeps me considering going.  However, if I
ever do, I will find a close motel and daytrip
it.  The logistics of bringing my encampment
from Los Angeles to Pennsylvania would be
prohibitive anyway.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.