[Sca-cooks] other things they dont explain about Pennsic

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 3 11:46:42 PDT 2004

> >I have never been to Pennsic.  I have always
> >dreamed of going, but now I am beginning to
> >change my dream, after reading your list.
>
>Other things that they don't explain about Pennsic.
>
>Magic happens in odd places and at odd times.
>
>The lowering sunset and low hanging everpresent dust turns the very air
>golden in the late afternoon.
>
>The smell of food and wood smoke, and the sound of laughter and song
>floating while a star falls in the night sky create a vivid impression that
>will stay with you as long as you live.
>
>There will be more merchants than you will ever see at any SCA even
>anywhere selling everything from 7000 dollar rapiers to 16 dollar gorgets,
>from 3 dollar twisted brass wire penannulars to fossil containing amber
>pendants going for 12 thousand, from hand made bows and arrows to
>rubberband marshmallow guns, from books to bongos and just about everything
>in between.
>
>Cooper's chocolate milk is a religion and sacrement unto itself.
>
>Odd moments of theater happen everywhere, much of it unintentional and all
>of it worth watching.
>
>Pennsic storms are awesome in every sense of the word.
>
>If you cant find a party to atend at pennsic, you are not looking or you
>are not at Pennsic.
>
>Whatever the case may be, once you go you will either be hooked or you will
>be turned off, there is no middle ground.
>
>Capt Elias

And they have kids that make ice runs up to Coopers Store for either block
or cube ice on a regular basis for a tip and usually make a killing.

There is now a nice little market at Pennsic to buy fresh veggies and fruit
and such stuff.

And last year the fireworks were simply magical.

How often do you get to just sit or stroll and spend absolutely as much time
as you want chatting with your friends without having to dash off to some
mundane responsibility or other?

Pennsic is the pinnacle of the experience, at least for me.  Even though I
was dragged out of there in an ambulance last year, I shall not cease going.
  Even if it happens this and every future year till they just don't get to
me in time.
Olwen