[Sca-cooks] other things they dont explain about Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 5 21:00:45 PDT 2004

  Capt Elias commented:
> The lowering sunset and low hanging ever present dust turns the very
> air
> golden in the late afternoon.
>
> The smell of food and wood smoke, and the sound of laughter and song
> floating while a star falls in the night sky create a vivid impression
> that will stay with you as long as you live.
Yes. I proposed to my (now) lady wife at Pennsic 21 from the top of
Runestone Hill, in the early twilight. You could see spread out below a
haze of mist and smoke from the campfires. Distantly you could hear the
tinkling of dishes and the murmur of voices and the usual camp noises
as dinner was being prepared in a multitude of camps. In the distance,
you could hear the booming of a drum...

At the time, other than the Serengetti where Ansteorra was camped, and
we were staying, I thought this was all of Pennsic. I highly recommend
that newcomers take at least one or two circuits around the camp on the
hay wagons when they finally start running. Even if less convenient,
because their arrival time is often rather irratic or they are
overloaded and you have to wait for the next one, take the hay wagon
some. This is a good way to get an overview of Pennsic.

> If you cant find a party to attend at Pennsic, you are not looking or
> you are not at Pennsic.
Parties and bardic circles are often posted now in books at Information
Point.

> Whatever the case may be, once you go you will either be hooked or you
> will be turned off, there is no middle ground.
Unfortunately, there may be more truth in that statement than not.

This next Pennsic will be my tenth Pennsic, but for my lady wife,
Pennsic 21 is probably the only one she will go to. But even for me,
sometimes I wonder if the hassle factor outweighs the magic factor.

Stefan
(Veteran of Pennsic 21, 23, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 and hopefully,
33)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com