[Sca-cooks] kosher wine, was Kashrut

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Mon Jun 7 09:28:01 PDT 2004

ah...no....

i am NOT jewish.i am not merely a non observant jew, but am not of the
tribes...  since i am not jewish i cannot handle an open bottle of kosher
wine without rendering it trefe. (not kosher).  this applies to WINE, and in
some groups to grape products in general.

<this, of course, is one of those things the non orthodox scrathch their
heads over>

it basically has to do with rules about "idoliters" and non jewish pagans
etc, not being allowed to handle the ritually very important kosher wine!
wine is part of the sacrements in Judaism, much like Christianity.. and
should not be profaned by being touched by a "hethen/pagan/non jew".
(there is some debate that also holds that wine being sso important to
everyday meals in anceinet society, that by making drinking with a non jew
very difficult, you limit contact and further "set apart" the jewish
community.)

i can drink wine with an observant Jew, but they must not allow me to handle
the opened bottle.  therefore i sit on my hands... and i ask an observant
Jew to pour my wine in to my glass.  therafter i only handle MY glass of
wine.  that glass of wine no longer considered "kosher" and cannot be drunk
by the observant....

there are less restrictive rules regarding baking. and breads..... but they
mostly rule that a jewsih person must "paricipate" in the baking by at least
lighting the oven... so i can pass the bread, and the dairy or meat, just
fine....
but kosher wines i must not touch, so everyone else can have them
unless they are sealed, or certain other specific rules apply......

Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...