[Sca-cooks] Things to BUY at Pennsic

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jun 10 13:16:41 PDT 2004

 > Got to jump in here, guys.  Not to be poopy, and I know I have not been
>playing this game as long as many of you (19 yrs. this Sept.), but I
>remember a time when most people made most, if not all, of their own
>garb.  Perhaps we have all gotten a bit spoiled and should be encouraging
>each other to get back to those sewing machines....  There is something
>to be said for setting a good example for the really new folks.

*grimly*

I wear what I make because I'm too cheap to buy... but I don't make much
and I do occassionally get people to help me make stuff (i.e., watch me
struggle with it until they can't stand it anymore and take it away and
finish it).

I had a lot more time to make garb back when I joined, when I wasn't:

- Editing a 200 page Known World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium
Proceedings
- Judging three major A&S competitions a year
- Running an A&S exhibition event
- Leading a kingdom Herbalist Guild
- Moderating 3 A&S related mailing lists
- cooking at least one feast and 2-3 other meals for local groups every
year
- teaching two to three weekends a month at SCA events
- writing articles for SCA publications
- doing book research for other people
- doing herbal and cooking research
- scheduling A&S classes for my local group's latest event
- helping re-found a Kingdom Cook's Guild
- helping in the kitchen at other people's events
- being local chamberlain which means organizing and inventorying a 10x10
storage space and making sure stuff gets to and from events
- trying to encourage others in _their_ arts

Not to mention
- publishing in my professional field
- helping organize a mundane scholarly conference
- teaching at a SF convention once a year
- mundane religious obligations and family obligations including helping
with my future sister-in-law's wedding...

I admit I don't have kids or a spouse and that makes it a bit easier, but
jeeminy christmas, i don't have time to do the laundry, let alone MAKE
garb. I just gave away one of my two sewing machines because since I got
them I haven't had time to set them up, let alone use them.

Yes, I'm ranting. Yes, I'm a bit toasty around the edges. Sorry.

(The only good news is that the proceedings went to the printer yesterday.
The bad news is that the author of two articles told me AFTER it went to
the printer that I got her mundane name wrong...)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Hero not the handsome actor who plays a hero's role. Hero not the glamour
girl who'd love to sell her soul." - Rush, Nobody's Hero