[Sca-cooks] Things to BUY at Pennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 10 23:48:45 PDT 2004

Samrah asked:
> Got to jump in here, guys.  Not to be poopy, and I know I have not been
> playing this game as long as many o you (19 yrs. this Sept.), but I
> remember a time when most people made most, if not all, of their own
> garb.  Perhaps we have all gotten a bit spoiled and should be
> encouraging each other to get back to those sewing machines....  There
> is somethingto be said for setting a good example for the really new
> folks.
Yes, I agree with this in principle. However, I've not been able to
find the time to research 12th century Anglo-Norman men's clothing yet.
Unfortunately, unlike some of the later period there are no paintings
to go by. Even with them, I'm still a beginner when it comes to sewing.
Even after 15 years (gulp) in the SCA.

I *would* like to sew my own, authentic outfits. However, when I'm
doing that or doing some of the other crafts I would like to do, much
less would be collected or make its way into the Florilegium. Making my
own garb would also be a lot cheaper.

As mentioned earlier, I want to get away from my generic T-tunics. I'd
like to think though, that I have more of an positive impact on the SCA
newcomers with the Florilegium than I would by taking the time to make
authentic garb for myself.

So, eventually I'll probably change all that linen and wool that I've
bought into some outfits, and buy some authentic outfits if I find them
for sale. Either new from merchants, or as I continue to do when the
occasion appears, from other folks selling off their older stuff. (I
got a nice houppelande at last week's fighter practice. It needs the
collar replaced and it certainly isn't 12th century, but it beats
generic T-tunic)

Perhaps I could trade some pewter buttons or something for help on some
12th century garb... :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas