[Sca-cooks] Things to BUY at Pennsic

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Jun 11 03:56:40 PDT 2004

In a message dated 6/10/2004 4:35:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
auntie_samrah at yahoo.com writes:

<<Got to jump in here, guys.  Not to be poopy, and I know I have not been
playing this game as long as many of you (19 yrs. this Sept.), but I remember a
time when most people made most, if not all, of their own garb.  Perhaps we
have all gotten a bit spoiled and should be encouraging each other to get back to
those sewing machines....  There is something to be said for setting a good
example for the really new folks.>>

I'm the chatelaine for my local group.  Most of the new folks I've
encountered recently have absolutely no sewing experience unless it was making a gym bag
in a class in middle school.  Most of them are convinced they can't sew, or
not interested in learning.  We do insist that they try to make one simple
tunic or gown on their own, with our direct assistance at each step (partly to
teach them rectangular construction, so they know what it looks like).  Most of
them, from that point, decide that they would prefer to purchase ready-made
clothing.  I can't fault them for having tried and decided it's not for them.

As far as setting a good example, my husband and I do make all of our own
clothes, including in his case handfinishing the seams, and in my case doing
every stitch by hand.  We make it very clear that we do not expect anyone else to
do this, and that completely machine-sewn is fine.

Then, once we've taught them what to look for, they go shopping and can't
find it unless  they want 14th or 15th century.  That's wrong.

Brangwayna