[Sca-cooks] butter-flavored crisco

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jun 13 15:17:05 PDT 2004

Also sprach Micaylah:
>  >Has anyone used this, outside of making the recipe on the box,
>>successfully.
>>
>>I made the chocolate cookie recipe on the box and they were
>>excellent but as a
>>substitute I found it didn't work in the one recipe I tried it
>>with.  This
>>was my mother's shortbread cookie recipe.  The cookies tasted
>>horrible and
>>were incredibly fragile.
>>
>>Marina
>
>Jane errrr Marina, it sucks. It doesn't firm up even when in the fridge
>so you cant cut it into dry ingredients properly. It has a definite
>"theatre popcorn butter flavour" that really has nothing to do with
>actual butter.
>
>Unfortunately I learnt by experience. Others mileage may very though.
>
>Micaylah

I assume the trouble is in a lack of water content. Crisco, even
butter-flavored, I assume, has basically no water, and allows for
virtually zero gluten development, hence the trouble with
ultra-fragile shortbread. Shortbread usually uses very little water
-- normally whatever's in the butter -- but a little is still more
than none.

I could imagine that a one-to-one substitute of BFC for butter might
similarly lead to... um... powerfully-flavored, artificially-flavored
foods, since that water content, which might be compensated for in a
recipe crafted for that ingredient, is absent in another recipe not
specifically designed for its use.

You would, presumably, want to use a little less BFC than actual
butter, and a little more of another liquid, I think. Probably Bear
could give you a more reliable mathematical formula, but off the top
of my head I don't remember what it is.

As for firming up in the fridge, I believe there's a BFC product
whose purpose is to get people to buy their partially hydrogenated,
therefore partially saturated fats, and drizzle it on rolls,
biscuits, baked potatoes, and such, while still feeling virtuous for
no good reason. But there's also a somewhat firmer product that's the
same consistency as regular Crisco, and while this doesn't firm up as
hard as butter in the fridge, it does firm up well enough for most
pastry uses. I'm not sure if you're talking about the liquid stuff or
the semi-solid tin of Crisco, but commercial bakeries do sometimes
use such shortenings to make puff pastry and such, so it's safe to
assume you can do a decent job with it if you treat it right.

But then again, I don't like the stuff, either.

Adamantius