[Sca-cooks] edible plants at Pennsic

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Jun 16 17:29:15 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I don't actually know... it's just what I purchase at the health food
store.

> Kris
>
> At 05:02 AM 16/06/2004, you wrote:
> >Outer bark or inner bark?
> >--maire, who just had a weird visual cartoon of a dog guru teaching dog
> >students how to realize fully the potential of their "inner
> >bark"....*sigh*...it's too early for puns....
> >
> >Kristina Pohl wrote, speaking of willow:
> >
> >>As far as I know, you can just make it into tea. We usually do 1 tsp of
> >>shredded willow bark to one mug of hot water, adding other herbs as
> >>wished to flavour it nicely. It seems to work quite well.

Usually, you use the inner bark, but in some varieties of willow, it's
pretty hard the sperate, so if you were in a hurry, you might chop the
entire bark up and stew it, and strain later.

Yeah, I know- willow bark is supposed to be easy to strip- that's why you
use it for willow whistles. right? Unfortunately, some varieties have a
really gnarly bark- it's fairly easy to strip from the wood, but getting the
inner bark loose can be a bit of a pain.

And it's not very tasty- if you decide to try it, for heaven's sake either
flavor it, or make a strong decoction and chug it, pinching your nose
closed.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.