[Sca-cooks] Looking for a Beef and Barley Soup Recipe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 19 15:58:11 PDT 2004

Lisa declared:
> LOL I get lost every time I try to search something in the Florigelium.
I'm sorry. Is there something I could do to make it easier for you to
use?

I have heard folks complain they get lost because they get distracted
and keep finding other things to look for and forget what they were
originally going after. Sorry, *that* I can't do much about. :-)

One way to find things in the Florilegium if you don't know which file
to look in first is to use the search engine available on the top page
of the Florilegium. For instance, putting in "beef", "barley" and
"soup"  gets you 150 hits. Some of these are duplicates because of the
different file formats but one at least of these is the soup-msg file
that Mairie mentioned and several feast menus where this soup was
served. Unfortunately, you are likely to find this soup as a number of
variations, so figuring out which one was the one you were served is a
bit problematic. Writing the headcook for the feast you ate would be
another option.

For the bread, be aware that there are only about half a dozen
surviving medieval bread recipes. Most of which you can find in the
Florilegium. :-) So most of the breads such as the one you enjoyed are
going to be recreations and guesses of what might have been served in
medieval times. Personally, I don't think you would have found an
oatmeal bread served at a high society medieval feast, since there
seems to have been much social value put on *white* *wheat* bread. Just
like in the US in the 60s. Sigh.

Again, the search engine on the Florilegium turned up a hundred hits
when I searched for this bread.

Those two meal items sound familiar. You did mention that this was an
Ansteorran feast. Would this perhaps have been one at a Bryn Gwlad
event? If so, that narrows it down to just a few possible cooks. I
could ask about these recipes locally if this is the case.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com