[Sca-cooks] long pepper?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 24 12:43:38 PDT 2004

OK...here 'tis.  The original says to eat it right away, but I have
found that letting it age for about 6 weeks makes it really delicious.
Otherwise, IMHO, it's a little too sharp.

Red Mustard Sauce – Platina, p. 357 (Mary Ella Milham edition)

Grind in a mortar or mill, either separately or all together, mustard,
raisins, dates, bits of bread, and a little cinnamon.  When it is
ground,  with verjuice or vinegar and a bit of must, and pass thorugh a
sieve into serving dishes.  This heats less than the one above and
stimulates thirst but does not nourish badly.

2 cups mustard seed

2 cups must

4 tsp. Cinnamon

3/4  cups raisins

3/4 cups dates

1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar  (or verjuice)

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

1 cup bread crumbs

Place mustard in a blender with vinegars and must.  Liquify.  Add
cinnamon, raisins and dates and reduce this to a liquid.  Add enough
bread crumbs to thicken the mustard so that a wooden spoon or spatula
will almost stand in it.  Let cure in a crock with a cloth cover for
several weeks.

Enjoy!

Kiri

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

>> I have a recipe that I redacted from Platina that's not hot, but
>> rather a sweet mustard...and very yummy. Interested?
>>
>> Kiri
>

> Spooon Tease!  You know the answer to that already.  The standard
> answer to any question like "do you want this recipe" is a resounding
> YES, so don't ask just type it up.
>
> Selene C. [for Crazed Weasel]

Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
					-- C.E. Lawrence