[Sca-cooks] Menagier Question

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 16 10:58:09 PST 2004

Greetings,

I have been sitting in front of my computer comparing the Eileen Powers (in
my lap) and Janet Hinson (on the screen) translations of Menagier. I
expected them to be different, but there are large chunks of text in Hinson
that are not in the Powers.

I cannot read French so I wanted to get opinions here as to which is the
more accurate version. I know there are other translations out there - are
any of them better than these two? The drastic differences between the two
could lead one to think that they were working from two different copies of
the original book - one that had some omissions.

I know a consensus has been reached regarding the Apicius translations, but
I do not know about this one.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva