[Sca-cooks] Drakey's Tool Kit

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Wed Mar 24 13:08:45 PST 2004

There seem to be some missing uses:

>>OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable
>>objects in your garage on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside
>>a brake drum you're trying to get the bearing grease out of.

And lighting cigarettes. I worked in a shop were nobody ever seemed to
have any matches or lighters, so the standard practice was to turn on
the oxyacetylene, spark it, adjust the flame, light the cigarette (yes,
held between the lips with a flame hot enough to melt steel two or three
inches away), and then turn of the gas. A few more efficient types might
light the cigarette off the glowing piece of metal they just finished
welding, going out for a smoke break while it cooled.

>>WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and
>>motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16 or 1/2
>>socket you've been searching for, the last 15 minutes.

It's actually a little bad when you know of the top of your head which
metric sockets can poorly impersonate that SAE socket you can't find,
and vice-versa.

>>WIRE WHEEL: Cleans rust off old bolts and then throws them somewhere under
>>the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls
>>and hard-earned guitar calluses in about the time it takes you to say,
>>"Ouch...."

What? Nothing about grinding wheels and knuckles?

>>TROUBLE LIGHT: The mechanic's own tanning booth. Sometimes called a drop
>>light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin," which is
>>not otherwise found under motorcycles at night. Health benefits aside,
>>its main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate
>>that 105-mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours
>>of the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is
>>somewhat misleading.

Also, if using the old-style metal framed trouble light, used to brand a
grid pattern onto the back of your hand or forearm.

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at jeffnet.org
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)