[Sca-cooks] Tonight on the Food Network - Biblical Foods

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 29 09:36:37 PST 2004

	I saw the 'Ancient Foods' one last year, haven't seen the new 'Miracle
Foods' special.  I thought their research was superficial, not so many
glaring errors, just glaring oversights or lack of explaination.
	There is a young filmmaker here in town that has been talking this over
with me.  We've disusssed topics that could be reasonably dealt with in a 30
or 60 minute (22 or 48 actual minutes) format. One topic I think would be
good would be the Almond, and all of it's uses, economy around it,
religion/fasting and the need for it, etc.  On a more general note, Feasts
and the reasons why you would have them.  Discuss the things we do today at
big dinners that tie in like having a head table or speaker's dias and
banquet staff; weddings, celebrations, religious feasts, etc.
The trick is to make the topic relevant to today's viewers, so they want to
know more about it.  You can never cover anything in-depth enough for real
research on a TV program, but you can pique the interest of a few people
that are curious enough to go do more digging on their own.  Master Huen
getting called to show the origins of sandwiches is a good example.  They'll
probably go on and talk about the Monte Cristo and the Club etc., but maybe
somone will want to know more about the earlier one and get hooked (insert
evil laughter here).
	 So, all we need are the dollars to back production, and I'm sure we could
float lots of good ideas.  Go out and buy those lottery tickets people!
Christianna