[Sca-cooks] Genovese and Bolognese tortas?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon May 3 08:35:15 PDT 2004

Anahita mentioned:
>  - and a Torta... was asked to make a Genovese, but just realized last
>  night i got ingredients for a Bolognese... Oh, well, it will taste good.

Stefan pondered:
>  Okay, what is the difference between this (the?) Genovese and this
>  (the?) Bolognese torta?

Well, i'm back from Beltane Coronation and
somehow managed to escape sunburn. The site is
lovely, but it was in the 90s, which is unusual
for Northern California this early in the year
and most people were just dragging around during
the day, although the temperature dropped into
the low 50s or high 40s at night. Naturally there
was fighting on Saturday. And on Sunday the
fighters were out on the Eric again, this time
playing hurley.

Sylvie La Chardonierre organized a period food
potluck for the Provinces of The Mists (Berkeley
and Oakland) and Cloondara (San Francisco). We
intended to eat around 3 PM, but because of the
heat, Sylvie was understandably unwilling to
grill the beef and folks were sitting wanly under
the sun shade. I brought my two tortas over, and
gradually over the next 3 hours folks began
adding food to the table. Most got eaten.

Here was our intended menu:
  x Beef loin (Sylvie, with Christopher cooking)
  x Beef sauce (Anahita)
  x Soup (Dianora and Sebastiano)
  x Vegetable Stew (Ryan and Amy)
  x Something made of cabbage (Rodrigo)
  x "A Sallet of all kinds of herbes and flowers" (Raquel)
  x Something Spanish with eggplant (Raquel)
  x "Genovese tart" (Anahita)
  x Meat Pie (Sylvie)
  x Pears in wine syrup (Peza)
  x "Cherry Pudding" (Dianora and Sebastiano)
  x Marzipan (Edith)
  x "White Leach" (Sylvie)
  x bread and cheese and veggie finger foods (Lorana)

Not all of this showed up - i don't recall the
soup, the vegetable stew, or the eggplant - and
the cabbage thing arrived uncooked and never got
cooked. Sylvie and Christopher decided not to
grill the beef because of the heat. Sylvie had
made two "meat pies" actually Pyes of Parys, and
the Leche - she used gelatin and layered both
white and yellow with saffron - she used a lot of
saffron - i couldn't stop eating them.
Mmm-mmm-mmm saffron Jell-o!

I brought along a couple friends, Gianetta who
brought some roasted lamb (which had won the
Wooden Spoon competition) and Tangwystyl who
brought a couple cooked game hens. I made two
sauces (Pear Mustard from Sabina Welser and
"Excellent Cameline" from the 14th c. Venetian
cookbook).

I am not sure which Genovese Sylvie had in mind.
When i went to track recipes down i found two
sorts. One was a Spanish tart made of mixed
fruits and nuts. The other was in Das Kuchbuch
von Sabina Welserin, 1553, with a cheese and
greens filling, rather like the Bolognese.

The Bolognese is in "The Medieval Kitchen" and is
from Maestro Martino. Cooked in a top and bottom
crust, the filling is made of rich cheeses,
chard, parsley, and marjoram, eggs, butter,
saffron and pepper.

---------------------

Torta Bolognese - Maestro Martino

Take as much cheese as indicated above in the
section on torta bianca [a livre and a half] and
grate it. Note that the richer the cheese is in
fat, the better. Then take some Swiss chard,
parsley, and marjoram. And when they are cleaned
and washed, chop them very well with a knife, and
mix them together with the cheese, combining and
mixing with your hands so that they are well
blended, and adding four eggs and enough pepper
and a little saffron, as well as good lard or
fresh butter, mixing and blending all these
things very well, as I have said. And put this
filling into a pan with a top crust and a bottom
crust, and put on a moderate fire; and when it
seem to you to be half cooked, so that it will
look more attractive, color it yellow with an egg
yolk beaten with a little saffron. And to know
when it is cooked, remember that when the top
crust comes away and rises, then it will be good,
and you may remove it from the fire.

-----

What i did:

For 2 deep 9" pie shells

1/2 lb. raclette
1/2 lb. ripe brie
1/2 lb. cream cheese
(a real cream cheese without gums or stabilizers
- not that nasty "Philadelphia" stuff)
2 lb. Swiss chard leaves
2 handfuls fresh flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup fresh marjoram
4 Tb. butter
4 eggs
several threads saffron
a little pepper
2 Nancy's pie crusts (made with UNbleached flour and real butter)
2 egg yolks & saffron to color top crusts

Preheat oven to 400 ° F.

Cut back rind off cheeses and cut into cubes (i left the rest of the rinds on).

Wash greens and herbs.
Take chard leaves off tough white stalks,
discarding stalks (if you have the kind with red
stalks do the same :-).
Tear coarse stalks off parsley (i left parts of
the stalks), and slip marjoram leaves off their
stalks (tend to be woody).

Bring water to boil, reduce to simmer, and
blanche chard leaves, i.e., immerse leaves in
water for a minute or so, then remove and drain.
I did this in batches, as there was a lot of
chard.
Then i blanched the parsley...

Chop greens finely in a a food processor.
Add the cheeses and process until it's a smooth,
evenly colored mixture, scraping down the sides
of the bowl as needed.
Add eggs and blend them into the mixture.
Add butter and blend well.
Add ground pepper and about 10 threads of saffron
and process until thoroughly blended.

Pour filling into two deep 9 inch pie crusts.
Cover with top crust, pressing seams tightly shut.

Set tart pans on a baking sheet to catch drips, and put in the oven.

Beat two egg yolks. Crush a few threads of
saffron and add to yolks along with a tablespoon
of warm water. Beat well to blend and leave to
infuse. When pie has baked for 15 minutes, remove
from oven, paint top crusts with egg yolk and
saffron mixture. (i skipped this step this time -
but i did it the last time i made this)

Return to the oven and bake for another 45
minutes. As it bakes, the filling will begin to
puff up, raising up the top crust. Test by
inserting a clean knife - if filling sticks, it
isn't done. If knife comes out clean but a little
damp, remove pies from oven immediately.

NOTE:
I realized when i got home that i didn't have top
crusts - note that i generally do not bake,
although i can. I found a little baggie of
something that looked like flour in my cupboard.
I tasted it, and it tasted kinda like wheat
flour, so i cut butter into it, added a little
water and rolled out two top crusts. It was
flour, but i'm not sure what kind. It baked into
a flakey top crust, a bit flakier than usual, and
tasted a little bitter... it might have been a
blend of wheat and soy flours... i really need to
label those bags of stuff i buy in bulk...

-----

Here is the version of the Genovese with Cheese and Greens that i didn't make:

30 To make Genovese tart - Sabina Welser

Take eighteen ounces of chard or spinach, three
ounces of grated cheese, two and one half ounces
of olive oil and the fresh cheese from six ounces
of curdled milk. And blanch the herbs and chop
them small and stir it all together and make a
good covered tart with it.

Valoise Armstrong, the translator, noted that the
curdled milk cheese "is known today as Quark in
Germany and Topfen in Austria."

-----

Here is the version of the Genovese with Fruits and Nuts that i didn't make:

1) From Brighid ni Chiarain's translation of Libro de Guisados

TORTA A LA GENOVESA

A pound of almonds well-peeled, and another of
pine nuts, and another of toasted hazelnuts, and
grind them all together in a mortar and after
grinding, set them aside.  And take a pot with
water, and salt, and oil.  And this shall be on a
flesh day, and taste [to see] if it is
well-salted; and take a half pound of raisins
without seeds, and three ounces of peeled dates
cut into quarters, and three or four apples which
are sweet-sour or sweet, and quarter them and
remove the core and seeds, and cast them in the
pot to cook.  And when it is well-boiled, the
apples will be cooked.   And then remove them
from the water, and grind them with the dates,
and raisins, and almonds, and with the hazelnuts,
and pine nuts.  And after they are well-ground,
blend it all with the said broth; and if it is a
flesh day, you may cast into the mortar a dozen
eggs ground up with the aforementioned things.
And then strain it through a sieve, and having
done this take good dough which is well-kneaded,
and make a trencher as large as if it were the
bottom of the frying pan which you have, and make
its edges like a empanada without a top; however,
let it be the size of the frying pan neither more
no less, and put it in the frying pan; and when
it is inside, cast in a little oil underneath so
that the dough does not stick to the frying pan;
and then cast all that sauce or foodstuff in the
pie, and put it upon good hot cinders; and then
take a lid which is as large as the frying pan,
that will cover it well, and put a good fire of
charcoal above and below and around it.  And when
it has been like this for a little while,
carefully remove the lid from the top, and cast
into the tart two ounces of sugar, and one of
ground cinnamon, and then cover it again with its
lid; and cook two hours until the dough comes
away from the frying-pan; and then it is cooked,
and remove it to a plate as if it were an omelet;
and put it on the table like a pie.