[Sca-cooks] Cook's Night Out

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Mon May 3 15:39:34 PDT 2004

The problem is that I've heard that pretty constantly - from people who
claim to be *on* the diet...

Yes, I understand that you and several others I know are doing this
rationally. And I'm willing to accept that this is as written. But
that's not most of my experience.

Remember, I do food sampling professionally. I've been scolded for
offering a cheese sample on a cracker, because the person couldn't eat
one Carr's - "he was on Atkins." (Couldn't eat the cheese off the
cracker, either, it seemed...)

I was doing a promo for baby food, and had a woman pick up a jar of
fruit and react with horror - "This has carbs in it! Don't you have any
good food?"  (It was 100% fruit - oh, a little water to mush it up... no
added sugar.)

There's a new milk product out with lowered carbs - I don't even want to
know how they accomplish that one - I did manage to get out of sampling
it, so far - nearly got it yesterday. I think food should pretty much be
real food...

When people who aren't on it react negatively, please understand that we
are often reacting to what we're being told by people who say they're on
it... just as you are to the Weight Watchers story. I've been on Weight
Watchers, and that is not the way they do it these days...  or for quite
a few years... but there are fanatics in any area.  But you know someone
with that experience, so, reasonably, that's all you know, and you
believe it generally true, even though it is not at all, in my
experience.

AEllin