[Sca-cooks] Cook's Night Out

M. Traber mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Mon May 3 16:27:59 PDT 2004

AEllin Olafs dotter wrote:

> The problem is that I've heard that pretty constantly - from people who
> claim to be *on* the diet...
>
> Yes, I understand that you and several others I know are doing this
> rationally. And I'm willing to accept that this is as written. But
> that's not most of my experience.

Too many people jump onto a dietary bandwagon without doing any research
into it...or they hear something and take it totally out of context.
Honestly, if all you knew about low carbing was overhearing/reading in a
blog <source page here http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/21-237659.html>

**<Well, you start> with five 200-calorie feedings per day and follow
for four or five days. Each item equals approximately 200 calories:

     * one ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter
     * two ounces of cream cheese or Brie
     * one ounce of tuna or chicken salad with two teaspoons of
mayonnaise served in one-quarter of an avocado
     * two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons of mayonnaise
     * two ounces of sour cream and two tablespoons black or red caviar
     * two and a half ounces whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose
zero-calorie syrup
     * two ounces of pâté (check label for fat content)
     * two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise
what would you think....[other than yummy - caviar on a diet=)

This is a valid way to force your body to burn all the resident glucose
off so you can get into ketosis...BUT you are to do it for a limited
time, and not constantly...and it isnt the normal way to start doing
atkins...

[the <well you start> inserted by me to simulate a blog entry...]

> Remember, I do food sampling professionally. I've been scolded for
> offering a cheese sample on a cracker, because the person couldn't eat
> one Carr's - "he was on Atkins." (Couldn't eat the cheese off the
> cracker, either, it seemed...)

Some cheeses do have additives, and some people dont do cheese randomly,
they do it on specific days depending on their protein/fat choices for
that days menu=) I know if I do too much fat in a day I get interesting
digestive occurences...so if I have bacon with breakfast, and know I am
having something like digbys cheesy spoo with dinner, i really shouldnt
have that nibble of cheese or pepperoni around midday...

> I was doing a promo for baby food, and had a woman pick up a jar of
> fruit and react with horror - "This has carbs in it! Don't you have any
> good food?"  (It was 100% fruit - oh, a little water to mush it up... no
> added sugar.)

of course it is carbs...it is orgenic vegetable matter. What counts is
the proportion of diietary fiber to sugars...

> There's a new milk product out with lowered carbs - I don't even want to
> know how they accomplish that one - I did manage to get out of sampling
> it, so far - nearly got it yesterday. I think food should pretty much be
> real food...

Shudder...the mind boggles. Milk sugars are milk sugars....only thing I
can think of is thin out heavy cream with soy milk?

--
Aruvqan, Cleric of 56 seasons
Avengers Federation, Solusek Ro