[Sca-cooks] German Sausage recipes

M. Traber mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Fri May 7 07:33:03 PDT 2004

> Also sprach M. Traber:
>
>> Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>>
>>> I'd be concerned about using the various catfish variants, but they
>>> _are_ firm, white, and sweet, and the various flavorings would
>>> probably mask any inherent muddiness. Yes, this is a golden
>>> opportunity for everyone to tell us about their favorite treatment of
>>> catfish, of which none of us have ever heard previously ;-) .
>>

>> Chopping it up and using it for bait, throwing it back in, feeding it
>> to the feral cats.
>

> Okay, that wasn't in the "Well, back home we used to soak it in milk for
> a few hours" category (followed by 187 more of the same), but... thank
> you... I think... ;-)

CAn you tell I really *dislike* catfish? =) I have had farmed and
fished, and even net caught wild that has been aquariumed and fed corn
meal and stuff, always tastes mucky and nasty to me. Just like mackeral
tastes spoiled to me no matter how fresh it is=( <i also dislike most
small or oily fishes, the fishiness i dislike always seems concentrated=( >

> Have you ever mused on the peculiar bone structure of the pike, putting
> it up there with the carp and the shad as one of the top-three
> hard-to-eat fish? The fish with _five_ distinct fillets? Maybe that's
> why it figures so heavily in sausages, quenelles, gefilte fish, etc.

I find most freshwater fish seem to be overly boney, like perch and
sunfish/punkinseeds as well... i think it is a freshwater trait. Just
seems to be easier making presentation cuts from sea fish. But then
again, there also seems to be a great gelatin content because of the
bones that is perfect for 'processed' fish dishes. Great for places that
want to jump n the lowcarb bandwagon because they dont need to add as
much in the way of starchy binders=)

Have you had fish croquettes made with chopped toasted nuts as the
filler? and I had some shrimp rolled in toasted almonds instead of the
coconut I am allergic to ... surprisingly good. I am of a mind to serve
salmon sashimi with one face dipped into the nice toasted sesame seeds
sometime=)

>> "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
>> stand ready to do violence on their behalf."  --George Orwell
>

> <Probably, but lately that fact has been keeping me awake at night...>

Unfortunately a truism right now, and for many previous years...i wish
it wasnt so, but human nature *is* human nature. I hate losing friends
and family, every time we hit the beaches [or sand, or dirt, or swamp] I
lose about 5 family/friends. It hits around memorial day and gets
depressing. i would change it, but not at the risk of my costitutional
rights that would go away if we were *not* our own country. Who was it
that said that giving away our freedoms means we dont deserve them? any
country who conceeds one small bit to a terrorist demand loses a small
bit of its freedoms. Erosion is forever=\

--
Aruvqan, Cleric of 56 seasons
Avengers Federation, Solusek Ro