[Sca-cooks] German Sausage recipes

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Fri May 7 11:58:40 PDT 2004

On Fri, 07 May 2004 09:59:25 -0400, "M. Traber" <mtraber251 at earthlink.net>
wrote :

> Volker Bach wrote:
>
> > I'll have to try it at some point, but given what they charge for pike
> > it'll be a while till I'Äm willing not only to fork out that money, but
> > then to chop up the fish rather than boil, steam or roast it properly...
> >
> > Does anyone know a good substitute for pike? Freshwater predators
aren't
> > exactly common, and I'm no great fish expert to start with.
>
> ? why isnt this a proper treatment for pike?
>
> Just as valid a way to have it as quenelles or in a mousseline, or as a
> whole presentation piece. As a matter of fact, this is a way more
> economical way to have the fish as the other ingredients stretch it a
> little further and flavor it. What is the difference ebtween the
> flavored sausage and using a whonking large amount of flavorings and
> sauces on a presentation piece of fish?

Basically, because I have plenty of pike recipes that sound both more
appetising and more challenging (stuffed pike, three-way-pike in one piece
etc.). Then, because if I were to serve pike it would be to a small
gathering (we can't afford to serve stuff like that at feast. I can ask
five or six Shirelings to come to a test cooking where we use up that kind
of stuff with uncertain outcomes, but not for feast), and I like fish in
one piece in thecenter of the table. So does my audience. I served salmon
flaked off the fish, with mustard-honey sauce, at one meal and it got
ignored. Then I served a whole salmon and guess what was gone immediately...

But I guess most of all because I like the expression on the pike's face.
I'm kinda partial to that. Especially if you put a dish of small fishes
right before it - predator frustrated

Giano