[Sca-cooks] Food and squeamishness

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sun May 9 19:54:06 PDT 2004

This brought up fond memories.  Once upon a time in a Principality far, far
away (which is now a Mighty Kingdom (tm) we had a Coronet Tourney and Feast.
These took place at Frankenstein Castle (yup, a real one does exist) in the
hills above Darmstadt.

The manager of the modern Gasthaus attached to the castle ruins had never
heard of the SCA at the time, but was familiar with the "Hauntings" put on
by the local American military communities around Halloween and was happy to
work with us.  We designed the menu around chicken and pork so the
carnivores would have a choice (at that time vegetarians were not an issue
except as food).  The manager was also a chef himself and suggested small
whole roast pigs and a total per person cost of about $12.00 along with
allowing us to bring in desserts and our own beverages, except beer.
Needless to say, we were happy to go along at that price.  He and his staff
also volunteered to wear tabards decorated with the Baronial badge.

The big day came, and the staff processed in bearing 5 whole roasted little
pigs complete with apples in their mouths and red cherry eyes.  The
manager/chef proceeded to do the whole sharpen the carving knives and
lovingly dismember them in the center of the dining area to the delight of
the populace.  Talk about melt in your mouth goodness.

The only squeamishness came from the fact that he beheaded the piglets and
presented the heads to the high table.  The Princess then had the "honor" of
having 5 little piglet faces "smiling" at her with their little red eyes
fixed on her face.  A guest from the East, Mistress Anne of Hatfield,
quietly reached over and gently edged the headliners around so they were
staring out at the crowd instead of the Coronets!

Regina
Old Used Drachenwald Autocrat