[Sca-cooks] Hat was favorite cicada lymerics; YAK

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue May 11 09:32:47 PDT 2004

The Marzipan calizonis recipe actually came from the Santich book on
Mediterranean cookery.  Here it is:

p. 51:  Pasties of Fine Sugar  (from Rupert de Nola, trans. Vincent Cuenca)

 Take a pound of peeled almonds and grind them dry without adding any
water or broth so that they become very oily; because the oilier they
are the better; and then take a pound and a half of well pulverized
white sugar, and mix it well with the almonds, and when it is all well
mixed and ground, if it is very hard soften it with a little rose water,
and when the mixture is softened a little grind a little ginger over it,
at your discretion, well ground; and then take dough which should be of
flour, and knead it with good eggs and sweet oil which should be fine,
and from this dough make little cakes or small pasties or crusts and
fill them with the aforementioned mixture, and then put a casserole on
the fire with very good sweet oil, and when it boils, put these little
pasties in and cook them until they turn yellow like gold, and when you
take them out sprinkle thinned honey over them, and sugar and cinnamon
over the honey.

Redaction from Original Mediterranean Cuisine, by Barbara Santich:

1/2  cup almonds, ground, blanched
1 1/2   cups sugar
1/4  teaspoon rose water
1/4   teaspoon ginger
1  cup flour
1   each egg
1   tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2   tablespoons water
oil for frying
caster sugar (Super or Very fine sugar)
cinnamon
honey

 Combine almonds, sugar, rosewater and ginger in food processor and
blend well (if the almonds are freshly ground the mixture should start
to hold together). Meanwhile make a soft pastry with flour, egg, olive
oil and water, knead lightly and roll out thinly. Cut into rounds about
3 inches in diameter. Place a small spoon of the almond mixture on one
half, brush edges with water, fold over and press edges together to seal.

 Heat oil and deep-fry pastries, a few at a time; drain, then toss in
caster sugar. Original calls for brushing with honey, then sprinkling
with sugar and cinnamon, which is what we chose to do.

Note, we made some of the pastry, but ran short of time and used gyoza
skins instead...worked out very well.   Again, one of my students made
these for the feast, though I had used them in an Italian feast I did
about 8 years ago.

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.