[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP: Wazzup with "Red Velvet Cake"

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue May 11 23:29:31 PDT 2004

At 11:13 PM 5/11/2004, you wrote:
>I figured you would clarify that!
>
>But, speaking of red dye 2 and, um, residue... I'd totally forgotten this,
>but I now remember my family noticed that dog poop indeed became much less
>red when it was banned. (My grandmother lived in a neighborhood that was
>shall we say pet friendly, before pooper scooper laws in NYC. We had the
>chance to observe a scientific sampling...) Evidently they stopped using
>it in dog food, too.
>
>AEllin

Were they coloring it red to make the dog think there was real meat? Or to
make *us* think there was real meat!

Two food color stories, one natural, one not.

This happened sometime in '65, because I was born in Nov. '64. My mom took
me to the doctor, convinced that I had some terrible liver disease, because
I had turned orange! Well no, as it turned out he was a good doctor and
first asked about my habits and what did I like to eat... well, apparently
I loved carrots, so my mom fed me lots of carrots. LOTS of carrots. It was
the carotene that was turning me orange. She quit feeding me carrots all
the time and in about two weeks I was pink again!

Second one was in the early '70s. We'd gone to Baskin Robbins for a treat.
I had a hard time choosing, but I finally did and enjoyed the ice cream.
The next day though, I came screaming out of the bathroom, yelling that I
had been poisoned! Well, apparently they had put LARGE quantities of
greenish blue dye in the licorice ice cream to make it look black.

Was tasty though!

'Lainie