[Sca-cooks] Required courses for RUM degrees

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu May 13 13:20:50 PDT 2004

Is this something you'll start in the SCA...I assume so, since it seems
to involve SCA stuff. If so, will it be SCA-wide or will it be specific
to Meridies? If the former, where and how would we get the classes you
mention...and, as is the case with our University in Atlantia, will
teaching a class give you credit for taking the class? And, if you plan
to have it SCA-wide, how can you be sure that the classes are accurate,
scholarly, etc?

I have forwarded your message to my hubby, who has done some vintning
and brewing and served as Atlantia's second Brewmaster.

Kiri

Sorry, I didn't want to include the entire Requirements for Graduation for
the Royal University of Meridies with my message :)  RUMeridies (since I
know there is a RUMiddle) has been around for a very long time, and the
School of Culinary Sciences has been a part of it for at least a decade, I
can't remember exactly when we started it.  We are trying to have degrees
available within the College, just as there are within the Equestrian,
Middle Eastern, Heraldic, and other Colleges.  The basic RUM Scholar's
Degree is a broad spectrum of introductory classes such as Intro to Fighting
in the SCA, Protocol and Precedence, History of Meridies, SCA
Administration, Feast Appreciation, The Role of the Horse in the Middle
Ages, Basic Heraldry and others, along with a certain amount of electives.
It is the rough equivalent of a modern Bachelor's degree.  These
inner-college degrees are the rough equivalent of an Associate's degree (in
fact I've gone back and taken "Scholar of ..." off each one and changed it
to "Associate of...".  I may change that to another word, Journeyman comes
to mind but doesn't really fit the academic profile, it being a guild
structure designaiton).  Yes, you do get 1 credit for teaching a class.
Yes, there are provisions to transfer classes from other places (I've gotten
credit for most of my Pennsic classes), including mundane course work. In
order for a class to be RUM approved, the instructor has to submit a class
outline and synopsis, along with the handout if there is one.  I think that
answers your questions about format.  One of the things I am trying to
determine is how many classes should be required.  Every other college does
it differently.  The Middle Eastern College requires 17 mandatory and 5
elective classes for a degree.  The Equestrian College requires 5 core and 5
elective classes.  I am leaning toward 5 required and 10 electives, but
don't have a clear idea of the Required courses for each degree yet, which
is why I'm bringing this up for discussion.
Thanks for sending it along for B&V comment.
Christianna