[Sca-cooks] Re: [spca-wascaerfrig] Another look at a Florilegium entry...

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Sun May 16 19:51:39 PDT 2004

On 5/16/04 2:15 PM, "Phlip" <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:

> Selene, Stefan, In the Florilegium, Selene has the following note posted:
>

> Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
> Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:43:05 -0800
>
> From: Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net>
>
> Subject: Re: SC - Fw: [Mid] Society Equestrian Newsletter! (fwd)
>
> I really have to worry when the equestrian notices show up on the cooks'
> list.
> We just voted against use of horses for human consumption here in
> California.Okay, it's period. The Bayeaux Tapestry has a panel showing a
> cook leading
> several animals off to the rotisserie, and one of the food-beasts is clearly
> horse. A fat little pony, clearly not a Knight's Charger. However... just
> because it's period, doesn't mean I want to eat it.
>
> Lady Selene Colfox, Caid
>
> not an equivore
>
> selene at earthlink.net
>
> That letter has just come up on the SCA-Equestrian List, in a discussion on
> the usage of horses in period, and several people are objecting to that
> interpretation, since the small horse/pony in question is apparently
> carrying a pack similar to the packs larger horses are carrying elsewhere on
> the tapestry. Think we want to look at that again (if we can find a picture
> of it) and reconsider our interpretations? I would tend to think, not having
> seen the picture, that if the poiny is loaded like that, it might not _be_ a
> foodstuff, but rather be _carrying_ a foodstuff, but I haven't seen that
> section yet, since I'm not into the Tapestry, that when/where, or fiber
> arts.
>
> Now, insofar as using horses for meat, I tend to be resistant as I would be
> for dogs or cats, but I know it's done, and I have actually tasted horse
> meat, but at the very least, we might want to put an addendum into trhe
> Florilegium, stating that that interpretation, at least in that particular
> case, is being contested.
>
> Anybody who wants to go look at the Florilegium, the entry is:
>
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/horse-recipes-msg.html
>

> Saint Phlip,
          CoDoLDS

Stefan typically does not insert statements about ³this interpretation is
being contested².  Rather, he is more likely to add your post to the file of
messages and let those who contest speak for themselves.  I expect that he
would ask if he may use your own words.  I have no problem with this, you
are certainly entitled to a difference of interpretation.  Let¹s face it, if
you ask five SCAdians a question, you will get six opinions.  <smile>

I stand by my original statement. Whilst small pack-ponies are present in
other frames of the Bayeux Tapestry, this one appears to have a different,
um, destiny. Here is a picture of the panel:

http://hastings1066.com/bayeux22.shtml

³HIC EST WADARD. HIC COQUITOR CARO. ET HIC MINISTRAVERUNT MINISTRI.²
[Here is Wadard. Here meat is cooked. And here the servants serve the food.]

Here is one man with an ax over his head, about to address the weapon to a
large and a small beeve.  Also, another man with an ax over his shoulder,
leading a small pony.  Yes, there is a basket on his back, but that ax
really looks to me like it¹s about to be used. I feel that this is clearly
destined for the dinner table.  I no more relish the notion of eating the
noble Horse than most other modern North Americans, but I try to keep my own
cultural orientation out of my interpretations of historical chronicles like
these.

Permission is given to repost my response to your other SCA Equestrian lists
where you have quoted my previous post.

Yours in fellowship,
Dame Selene Colfox, still in Caid
selene at earthlink.net