[Sca-cooks] Another look at a Florilegium entry...

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon May 17 07:40:02 PDT 2004

Y'all are really trying hard to make me change my mind, aren't you?
 Well I'll at least give you a "Maybe."  The pony-handler with the ax
over his shoulder looks really evocative to me though.

We know that the English have a long tradition against eating horses,
but the French did not.
The French were just beginning to turn away from horsemeat late in the
20th Century -- then Mad Cow Disease hit. This article does not
definitely say whether equines can get BSE, but they are seen throughout
Europe as a "safe" red meat.  See ABC article:
 http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/britain010212_ponies.html

Selene C.