[Sca-cooks] Another look at a Florilegium entry...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon May 17 06:05:40 PDT 2004

I just checked an article I remembered on this topic from "Medieval Food
and Drink" series of essays published by the Center for Early
Renaissance Studies at Binghampton University of the University of New
York. The article, entitled "Eating and Drinking in the Bayeux Tapestry"
by Rouben Cholakian, is a discussion of all of the scenes in the
tapestry that deal with food and drink. In the part of the essay where
this specific panel is discussed, he describes the bovines and the pig
being taken to slaughter, mentioning that they seem to be headed in the
wrong direction. He makes no mention of the pony being slaughtered as
well. In fact he totally ignores the presence of the animal, with its
handler, at all. I have to admit I had always thought that it was
carrying stuff in the paniers over its back...rather than being
slaughtered to be part of the feast...but that could be a deduction that
I made based on not being used to seeing horsemeat used as part of a meal.

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey…growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.