[Sca-cooks] Dayboard-like Fighter Food

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri May 21 04:04:11 PDT 2004

In a message dated 5/20/2004 8:58:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

<<Thus this is a long-winded way of asking for suggestions, pointers,
etc. so that at least a few of the bumps in the road can be smoothed
out a bit.>>

Serve things in cut form - ie slice the bread, cut up the meat, etc.  If you
don't, people will rip off huge chunks, eat half of them, and throw the rest
way, while some people go hungry because the people in front of them took all
the food.  Likewise, put the food out in small containers instead of huge ones
- if people see a two foot wide platter piled high with chunks of ham, they'll
take a lot more than if they see a 10" serving bowl with ham in it.  It's a
psychological thing; the smaller platter makes them think that maybe that's all
there is and they should go easy on it.

In general, for feeding fighters, pick things they can easily pick up and
carry away while munching on them.  Small meat pasties are excellent for this,
and allow the use of period pie recipes.  While hard-boiled eggs often seem like
a good idea, peeling them can be a pain and then you get left with eggshells
everywhere.  Cut oranges into quarters; they'll go further and be easier to
eat.  Again, provide a place to discard the rinds.

In general, I've found people in my area receptive to period food on
dayboards, although I know that might not be the case in some areas.  If your folks
aren't recptive to that option, here's something to try that, at least around
here, are known as "fighter snacks" - get dried beef if you can afford it,
sliced very thin in the deli (usually if you ask for it chipped, you get lots of
very thin sheets).  Smear them with a little cream cheese and roll them up.
Lebanon bologna is a cheaper way to get the same effect, although I don't know if
you can get that where you are.  Not period (more trailer-living appetizers),
but tasty and well-liked around here.  Another thing that can go over well is
the Bisquick sausage biscuit recipe - a biscuit with cooked sausage and
cheese mixed in.

Brangwayna