[Sca-cooks] Semolina, Khabisa with Pamegranate

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue May 25 12:26:43 PDT 2004

>     "Khabisa with Pomegranate" is from "An
>Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the 13th.
>Century" translated by Charles Perry,  (webbed
>at
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm
>) and specifically calls for Semolina.
>Considering the constancy of the finished
>cookies, I do not think that Cracked wheat would
>work as well (but I will try it :)
>Below is my recipe with the original.
>Dinah / Sayyida Dinah bint Ismai'l
>

>Khabîsa with Pomegranate
>
>Take half a ratl of sugar and put it in a metal
>or earthenware pot and pour in three ratls of
>juice of sweet table pomegranates [rummân sufri;
>probably tart pomegranates were more common in
>cooking] and half an û qiya of rosewater, with a
>penetrating smell. Boil it gently and after two
>boilings, add half a mudd of semolina and boil
>it until the semolina is cooked. Throw in the
>weight of a quarter dirham of ground and sifted
>saffron, and three û qiyas of almonds. Put it in
>a dish and sprinkle over it the like of pounded
>sugar, and make balls [literally, hazelnuts] of
>this.
>

>My redaction:
>
>2 ½ cups Sugar
>
>3 tbs. Pomegranate Syrup
>
>2 ½ cups Water
>
>1/3 cup Rosewater
>
>1 1/3 to 1 ½ lbs. Semolina, Fine Grain
>
>10 to 12 oz. Ground Almonds
>
>4 or 5 threads of Saffron
>
>Power Sugar to roll in

I don't see how you can make these quantities
consistent with the original text. You are
supposed to have six times as much pomegranate
juice as sugar, by weight--and the density of
sugar is close to that of water, so that means
about six times as much by volume. Even if we
assume that your water plus syrup is intended as
reconstituted pomegranate juice--and I think you
have way too little syrup for that--you still
have only one sixth the amount of pomegranate
juice called for in the recipe. Am I missing
something--as your text appears on my machine,
there is a symbol ½, which looks like a large pi,
before "cups" in each case. I'm assuming it is
1/2.

A mudd is about four liters, or roughly a gallon,
so a mudd of semolina would weigh a little over
four pounds. So the ratio of semolina to sugar
should be about four to one by weight. Your ratio
is less than half that. The ratio of pomegranate
juice to semolina should be about 3:2. Yours is
more like 2:3.

The ratio of rosewater to sugar by weight should
be one to twelve--there are 12 uqiyas to the
ratl, just as in the troy system of ounces and
pounds. Yours is more like one to four.

I don't know if you noticed the information on
period Islamic weights and measures in the
translation--it's at the back.