[Sca-cooks] Okay, so this is vaguely food-related...

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Thu May 27 09:35:16 PDT 2004

I'd never thought about the gluten specifically, but it makes sense. It
is supposed to be an unleavened bread. You wouldn't leaven a gluten free
bread to begin with...

Same for Matzo. I don't notice anyone suggesting that a gluten free
matzo be made under rabbinical supervision for Passover use... which
would be essentially the same thing. And I don't think that's going to
happen, either... for the same reason.

And, under the strictest and most traditional rules, you are still only
"required" to receive once a year. That was called the Easter Duty, and
was once, between Easter and Pentecost. You may of course, more
frequently, and it has been very actively encouraged for quite some
times, but doing so has never been a requirement. And that requirement
was set long before anyone understood celiac disease...

Now, it is certainly possible that either your friend's mother or her
priest is unwilling to be flexible about receiving only the wine. You do
get individuals in any organization (even the SCA *gasp*) who insist
upon following rules that aren't really there... but if that is true,
that's another entire issue, and well beyond the scope of this list. *G*

BTW, I was a Eucharistic Minister in a former community, though I have
not been actively so for some years. I did get training on this subject...

AEllin