[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 18, Issue 5/Turkey versus Swan

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 05:56:11 PST 2004

Okay, now as a poultry Laurel you might figure I'd
take a different agle on this!

As fierce a fighter as the NA Turkey might be, they'd
be no contest for a Swan, particulary a big cob (male)
in breeding season!  Those monsters are BIG and
STRONG!
with a wing span of 9 feet and a neck 5 feet long
there isn't much a swan couldn't do to a turkey, or
any other opponent for that matter!

Many years ago there was an article in National
Geographic Magazine about the Royal Swanherd of
England, all the Swans on the Thames are property of
the Crown and must be tagged and counted each year.
This has been going on since the reign of Bloody Bess
and her equally bloody father, Hank.

According to the article and to the current RSH, there
have been 15 men to have been killed by the swans
defending their young and mates! The cob can beat the
opponent with the force of a sledgehammer breaking
bones and causing concusions! Attacking the boat and
dragging the swanherd over board to drown him is the
primary mode of attack. I have seen a fight between a
White Emben Gander and a Turkey and it wasn't pretty!

Yes, the Gander won by plucking feathers and penning
said Tom under the gas barbeque!!

Abot Johann von Metten OL
medieval poultry

> As for the right noble Turkey, I adore the ugly
> bastards, and find them about as far from
> 'Mundane' as I do Lamb, Venison or any game meat.
> The flesh is flavorful and versatile, and I
> feel it requires as much respect as any of the
> 'period' birds of Western Europe.  It's big enough
> to have kicked all of those other birds' asses,
> anyway :)
>
> William de Grandfort

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"