[Sca-cooks] Ukranian greens question?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Nov 8 15:12:31 PST 2004

Ok, I got this in the email from someone recently, and it's got me
scratching my head:

"I am Ukrainian ... and I have been pondering this one for years.  My
grandmother used to pick a wild plant which she used in cooking ... it
was very similar to spinach.  She called it "natena", and she often
cooked it with cornmeal and fried onions.  This was long ago, and I
never learned what this plant's english name is.  Do you have any idea?
I would be so grateful if you have any suggestions."

Any ideas?

-- Jadwiga
-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"In the clearing stands a boxer, A fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders Of every blow that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out, In his anger and his shame,
'I am leaving, I am leaving' But the fighter still remains."