[Sca-cooks] Beer

Kai D. Kalix kdkalix at gmx.de
Thu Nov 25 09:08:48 PST 2004

Greetings,

Adamatius scripsit:
> But I think you'll find that your picture of the Ugly American with
> his Canoe Beer isn't as prevalent as it might once have been, and
> then there's the fact that the social and economic forces that
> created Canoe Beer in the US had already created small beer and small
> ale in Europe. In period, in fact.

I think Adamantius misunderstood me. I do not have a "picture of the Ugly
American" in my head, although many Europeans do have. (I have still the
picture of four Hell's Angels-like bikers, molesting car-drivers with "I
brew Kingsland Beer, the best f***ing beer in the world, you a**hole!" from
Stephen King's The Black House, in my head :o) ). And I wasn't referring to
small beers.
When I visited the US, regrettably only once, sometime in the 80ies (I
hadn't herad of the SCA back then), I've worked my way through US beers and
found them all disgusting. Then I discovered a tin of Löwenbräu - not really
my favourite, but at least bavarian beer. I was excited - that is, until I
tasted it and discovered it to be tasteless, yellow-colored, foaming water,
along with the nice remark on the tin, 'brewed under license in the USA'.
I do not even know (or remember) what Canoe Beer is?
kai

--
Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in
order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to

Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail + 3 Top-Spielfilme auf DVD
++ Jetzt kostenlos testen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail ++