[Sca-cooks] Re: grain in milk dishes

Christina L Biles bilescl at okstate.edu
Fri Nov 5 07:37:17 PST 2004

Jadwiga said:
>>>Ok, guys, how do you cook grain dishes in milk, as in the millet cooked

in milk Platina suggests?

I don't know.  Every time I've tried to cook something milk, be it grains
or pears or whatever, the milk separated into curds & whey.  I have a
speculation that raw milk may react differently, but I don't have a source
for it.

>>I am more and more of the opinion that not cooking our grains in broth
is doing people a
disservice in the feasthall.

It isn't just the grains.  Platina's noodles in broth recipe (Roman
Noodles) was just insanely popular at my last feast, and I used plain
dried noodles, not even hand made.  It was a cheap and easy filler dish (I
thought) to provide a bed for the meat skewers.  I expected most of it to
come back.  Instead, we had demands for more, more, more coming back to
the kitchen.

Now I cook noodles in broth as a side dish at home.  ;>

-Magdalena

Roman Noodles
Blend meal which has been separated from chaff with water in the best way.
When it has been blended, spread it out on a board and roll it with a
rounded and oblong piece of wood such as bakers are accustomed to use in
such a trade. Then when it has been drawn out to the width of a finger,
cut it. It is so long you would call it a fillet. It ought to be cooked in
rich and continually boiling broth, but if, at the same time, it must be
cooked in water, put in butter and salt. When it is cooked, it ought to be
put in a pan with cheese, butter, sugar, and sweet spices.