[Sca-cooks] Re: grain in milk dishes

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Fri Nov 5 08:17:48 PST 2004

Magdalena scripsit:

> I don't know.  Every time I've tried to cook something milk, be it grains
> or pears or whatever, the milk separated into curds & whey.  I have a
> speculation that raw milk may react differently, but I don't have a source
> for it.

If you are getting the milk very hot -- above 170º or so -- and adding any
sort of acid or coagulant (and there are lots of substances that will
coagulate milk protein) you are basically making cheese. Hence the
curds-and-whey. Raw milk will behave the same way as pasteurized.

If you cook the milk at a much lower temperature it shouldn't be as much of
a problem.

Cynara