[Sca-cooks] Re: grain in milk dishes

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 5 16:25:23 PST 2004

Christina L Biles wrote:

>in milk Platina suggests?
>
>I don't know.  Every time I've tried to cook something milk, be it grains
>or pears or whatever, the milk separated into curds & whey.  I have a
>speculation that raw milk may react differently, but I don't have a source
>for it.
>

>>>I am more and more of the opinion that not cooking our grains in broth
>>>

>is doing people a
>disservice in the feasthall.
>
>It isn't just the grains.  Platina's noodles in broth recipe (Roman
>Noodles) was just insanely popular at my last feast, and I used plain
>dried noodles, not even hand made.  It was a cheap and easy filler dish (I
>thought) to provide a bed for the meat skewers.  I expected most of it to
>come back.  Instead, we had demands for more, more, more coming back to
>the kitchen.
>
>Now I cook noodles in broth as a side dish at home.  ;>
>
>-Magdalena
>
>Roman Noodles
>Blend meal which has been separated from chaff with water in the best way.
>When it has been blended, spread it out on a board and roll it with a
>rounded and oblong piece of wood such as bakers are accustomed to use in
>such a trade. Then when it has been drawn out to the width of a finger,
>cut it. It is so long you would call it a fillet. It ought to be cooked in
>rich and continually boiling broth, but if, at the same time, it must be
>cooked in water, put in butter and salt. When it is cooked, it ought to be
>put in a pan with cheese, butter, sugar, and sweet spices.

I used a redaction of this for a feast that I did last spring that came
from this list...and did use the butter, Parmesan cheese, sugar, nutmeg
and cinnamon.  We tossed the cooked noodles with the butter, sprinkled
on the sugar/spice mixture...divided it up among the dishes, then grated
cheese over it.  It was a great success.  I don't know who did the
redaction...I asked, but no one 'fessed up!

Kiri