[Sca-cooks] Re: grain in milk dishes

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 17:51:03 PST 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:37:17 -0600, Christina L Biles
<bilescl at okstate.edu> wrote:

> Now I cook noodles in broth as a side dish at home.  ;>
>
> -Magdalena
>
> Roman Noodles
> Blend meal which has been separated from chaff with water in the best way.
> When it has been blended, spread it out on a board and roll it with a
> rounded and oblong piece of wood such as bakers are accustomed to use in
> such a trade. Then when it has been drawn out to the width of a finger,
> cut it. It is so long you would call it a fillet. It ought to be cooked in
> rich and continually boiling broth, but if, at the same time, it must be
> cooked in water, put in butter and salt. When it is cooked, it ought to be
> put in a pan with cheese, butter, sugar, and sweet spices.

I did this for a feast and made them by hand for it.  It went over really well.
I omitted the sugar as the king had requested an "atkins" friendly feast.
I liked the dish better without the sugar, the sugar and the cheese contrasted
too much when I made it at home, unless you were using a loose curd
cheese or ricotta.  (was ricotta period? )  I used parmesan, basil and
tarragon, along with some butter I made at home.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson