[Sca-cooks] Questions

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 7 11:28:47 PST 2004

> How period are grilled steaks? Steaks of any other
> sort?

Quite period.  I've encountered one recipe for preparing steak.

> Is Caribbean Barbeque Native or would it have been
> brought from Africa with the slave trade?
>
> Seanan and Johann,

Barbecue is a native practice of the Arawak.  The slave trade into the
Caribbean only started after the Arawaks and related tribes proved to be
poor slaves and were essentially wiped out.  The Spanish barbacoa derives
from Taino, an Arawakan language.

The bocan (Arawakan or possibly Tupinamban) was a rack for barbecuing meat
which became boucan in French.  Boucaner was the act of curing the meat and
boucanier was the man curing the meat.  The boucanier became a buccaneer
when Spanish interference turned the meat smokers and logwood harvesters
into pirates.

Bear