[Sca-cooks] Tasty Exotics- Squirrels and such

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Nov 7 15:52:17 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Anyone have any "good" squirrel recipes? They dont' have to be
period...just
> edible.
>
> Geertruyt

EWasiest way to cook them is, as I said, either as squirrel and dumplimgs,
or as gravy. The one problem with them is that they have about a zillion
little tiny bones. My usual method is to boil them up until the meat is
falling off the bone, take them out of the pot, let them cool a bit, bone
them, then put them back into the pot and make  my squirrel and dumplings or
squirrel gravy from there, just as I would if I were doing chicken and
dumplings or a chicken gravy.

Spicing is pretty simple- a bit of salt and pepper does a fine job,
although, depending on what else I'm serving, I might add a bit of sage or
poultry seasoning, a dash of garlic powder (or cook them with a couple of
garlic cloves- about 1 per squirrel) and/or regular Mrs Dash. They're not
really strongly flavored, so you don't want to use a lot of strong-flavored
spices. A couple juniper berries in the pot go well, or maybe a bay leaf,
and if you're making a gravy, you might want to add a bit of fat- they're
pretty lean, like most game.

As far as what they taste like, well, they taste rather like squirrel ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.