[Sca-cooks] Drinks at feasts (was: what's wierd-ish, what isn't)

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Nov 9 10:33:49 PST 2004

William de Grandfort wrote:

>Certainly, of all the items you mentioned, Sekanjabin is the one
>which I would pick to toss out.
>Not only is it a revolting beverage, but it is so over-used in the
>SCA as to be 'mundane'.
>Personal opinion.

The question then becomes, what do you serve for people to drink at
feasts? As someone else indicated, at least it isn't iced tea, which
as far as I can tell was never been served to anyone in our period;
sekanjabin and the other syrup drinks are at least reasonably
appropriate for Islamic personas. What we should be serving for
European feasts is pretty clearly wine, beer, mead, etc.; the problem
with these is that we run into mundane constraints, including; (1)
people often have to drive home after the feast; and (2) sites often
don't allow alcohol; and (3) the SCA alcohol policy won't let you
spend SCA money on them. At my last feast I compromised by serving
small mead I had made myself from one of Digby's recipes, and
donating it, which isn't horribly expensive, along with water and
sekanjabin.

How do other people handle this?

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook