[Sca-cooks] what's wierd-ish, what isn't

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Tue Nov 9 23:52:33 PST 2004

At 08:02 PM 11/9/04, Jadwiga wrote:
>Ok, so I'm putting together my menu and trying to keep the 'wierd foods'
>to a minimum; it should be all good home cooking with a few adventures--
>my target audience are PA German, Italian, and Irish/Scottish/Welsh in
>ethnic food background.  So, to help me think, I've been brainstorming
>lists of what is and isn't wierd. I'd love to get people to add their
>comments and also their experiences:

I gave a basic medieval cooking class at our adjunct Kingdom University
this last weekend, and we got into a discussion of precisely this.  The
general feeling in the group was that the weirdest thing about medieval
cooking was its tendency to combine meat and dried fruit, and particularly
in the pies.  Apparently meat/fruit stews are more familiar from various
ethnic cuisines, but meat/fruit pies are just _odd_!

JdH

Baroness Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
There is only one rule in the SCA: "Thou shalt not be tacky". All the rest
is commentary. (Barak Raz, Silverwing's Laws 1).